Sunday, June 29, 2008

Trip to Boston

It's been along time since I posted.. a bit of a slacker.. I might say.. It has been a crazy couple weeks, but what's new! Last Saturday the 21st, I went to Boston for a Drug Conference for work. It was a lot of fun.. long but fun! I was gone for 6 days and five nights! A long time to be away from home.. Jason stayed with the kids, they did great! I am sure there were days that were really hard for him, but he never really admitted it. (sweet, I know).. You know, it's funny because I could always tell when he was having a rough day (whether it was with work or kids) by the sound of his voice when I would call him. Mornings are always hard with 4 kids.. especially when one of us is not home to help. (sorry honey!).. Even when we are both home, it never fails that one of us always seems to be late for work! Just the way it rolls! Thank Goodness for Summer!
Anyhow, back to my trip! We did a lot of sight seeing while we were there. I went with two of my co-workers. One, who happens to be a really close friend of mine, JULIE, and David. Julie and I shared a room (by our own choice.. much more fun to have a friend to hang with all day!). We, of course, ate lots of good food.. (WAY BAD FOR MY DIET).. we were on a mission to have yummy seafood and lots of dessert! Horrible, I know, but we did compensate for it by walking, A LOT! David loved to walk everywhere! I did a lot of complaining about it.. only because the humidity there was horrible and ever since my hysterectomy I can't handle being that hot (unless its on my terms of course). Over the course of the week we walked about 10 miles. (+heat and sweating profusely.. right Julie?) Julie and I had so much fun being roomies! She was probably so sick of me by the time we were ready to come home! She knows just how Jason feels dealing with my MOODINESS! Sorry, Jules... your a true friend!
We had a great conference and learned lots of stuff! We also came home with lots of freebies from all of the vendors there. I think when we counted I had 148 pens/highlighters/markers! Plus other little fun freebies (pedometer, kites, balls, candy, tshirts, socks, frisbees, bubblegum machines, paper, med. dictionary, laser pens, and the list goes on and on!) This will give you a small clue about how much extra I brought...... When I checked in at the airport my suitcase weighed 46 pounds.. plus my laptop bag that was filled (not very heavy).. When we came home and they weighed my suitcase it was 75 pounds... yes 75! So the kind lady at the airport let me take out 4 pounds worth of stuff and put it in my carry on (which made that heavier because it was loaded too) and check my bag under Julie (since she is "GOLD MEMBER" hehe.. - gotta love the traveling jobs..lotsa perks, huh.. lol) so that I wouldn't have to pay extra.. Cause you all know that the airlines will charge over 50 pounds now. It's ridiculous.

I just loved Boston though.. we stayed downtown at the Marriot at Copley place. It was fabulous. It was hooked right onto the big tall Prudential building and a HUGE mall with lots of restaraunts, shops, etc... That was really nice. It was also located really central in the middle of downtown so that we could walk everywhere fairly close.. (Except for the night we walked between 5 and 6 miles rountrip).. But so worth it... (we just won't tell David that!) The city is very historical. The building structures are incredible! As we were walking and riding the shuttle bus I kept having flashbacks of old shows like 227 and the cosby show, where it looked as if they lived in townhomes/apartments.. and you entered the building or home by steps..(if I am explaining this good... just see my posted pics..) You know, people will hang out on the steps while the kids play on the sidewalk... Just like it.. The other crazy thing is on these buildings some of the bottom units were transformed into stores.. and everything above them would be apartments or living space. It was absolutely incredible. I just couldnt picture living in that. There was one street that was over a mile long. Every bottom unit and even some basement units were shops or restaraunts... everything above them was a renter/owner district. Rent was out of this world!
We went and walked around the Boston Commons (a great big beautiful park).... we walked to the "North End" and had AMAZING AUTHENTIC ITALIAN FOOD at El Dente! It was great! We walked and saw the Old NOrth Church... ( I am not a history buff.. but something to do with Paul Revere) ... We walked and saw the infamous CHEERS bar.. Not where it was actually filmed, but what the show was based off of.. way cool... but it was, I have to admit, pretty lame inside! Oh yes.. I forgot to mention that I HAD to go to a Boston Red Sox game. I am NOT a baseball fan at all.. I kept telling David and Julie that I was not going to a game with them, because I would not pay to go to a baseball game and be bored.. so Julie and David thought they were really funny when a client of ours invited us to attend the game on Monday night with them... oh geez.. now I had to go!!!!
It was really good to come back home. We got in Thursday night around 830! My family picked me up from the airport! I missed them so much! The kids were all so excited. IT really makes you feel good! Jenesee was so cute.. she just kept giving me lots of hugs and would not let me put her down. She was like that for a couple days after.

Enjoy the pics..



4 comments:

Jaci said...

Sounds like you had fun, don't you just wish that we could take our family's on all of our work trips. Or at least have them meet us half way, it would make it so great. I always feel bad leaving my fam to go off, but they really think that I am on vacation, when most of the time i just see the inside of the hotel, so it was great to hear that you actually excaped the conferance centers and hotels.

The Redhead said...

Jan, my long lost nursing buddy. Or should I say my long lost little miss west jordan pageant partner (remember?)
I am so glad to find you. What in the world are you traveling all over for? What are you doing at the hospital? I have to talk to you. I think i want a job at JVH...what do you think? Im kind of a retarded home nurse so I think I would need tons of training. Email me: raegie23@yahoo.com
Does Amy still work at JVH? What else is going on?

Hillary Corpuz said...

love the pics, looks like you had tons of fun.

Michelle said...

Looks like you had lots of fun. When Julie told me that you walked for ten miles, I thought that you had entered some kind of walking event! I didn't know that you had a hysterectomy. That SUCKS. I bet your family missed you like crazy.