Saturday, February 5, 2011

Michael Jackson

All of our kids love Michael Jackson, they love his music and find him fascinating! When he died last summer our kids were so sad... Okay, so I was too... But it was all we listened to for about 3 months.. Over and over again.
Jace recently had to do a biography book report on a famous person that did something to make a change. Jace was adamant about picking Michael Jackson. Everytime he went to the library there was no book in. His teacher even stopped at a library by her house, but to no avail... could not find a book..
She printed Jace off a bunch of information on the internet and told him that would count for his choice! He was so excited to do this poster.
(Keep in mind, that I am the mom that thinks elementary school homework is absolutely absurd. I will assure my kids read and practice spelling or math facts if needed, but book reports and other assignments, I dont enforce.. I am not paid to teach...and its infuriating when they come home and do not understand something or expect me to teach them..So i am up front with their teachers and say if you send it home and it comes back completed, then they did it on their own. We will help with small questions, but I feel that they should be able to sit right down and do it with very little, or no help at all.) So, back to Jace, this was only the 2nd book report he has done. He was so excited, like he was going to get a huge treat or something fun if he did it, but he was just so excited to learn about Michael. For the majority of the project he did all on his own. He used the internet to look up fun and interesting facts, read about his life from the information his teacher printed for him and found pictures that he could put on his poster. I took him to the dollar store and got a poster. For this report he had to fill out an information sheet answering questions on his person, then he had to do a poster, and the last thing was participate in a wax museum for all the parents and the whole school. This was something all the 3rd graders did.
After a little help from Jason and I with putting his poster together, and the ability to borrow his friend Zac's dads "authentic Michael Jackson" Jacket and pants he had bought when he was a kid, and fishing out a black wig in the halloween bucket (Which quite honestly I never thought he would wear!), Jace was ready for the wax museum. He even practiced doing 4 poses.. I have never seen him more excited.
I took off part of work to go see him. I met up with a friend in the parking lot and walked through with her.. I was glad to have found Aimee, because the line was incredibly long, and its always nice to pass the time with some great conversation.
When I saw my little Michael Jackson, his wig was on backwards, so i helped him fix it and he looked awesome! I was so proud of him, and will never forget the look on his proud face! I love that he is still not to embarrassed to hug and kiss his mom in front of all of his friends!






The Picture he wouldnt let me put on his poster because he said Michael looked to much like a girl here...

TO top it all off.. he came home from school the other day with his grading sheet and a picture attached to it that his teacher had taken, and he got 100/100! I am so proud of you Jace! I told you that you could accomplish whatever you put your mind to!

0 comments: