Saturday, February 12, 2011

Jene and her new hobby!


My baby girl is in love with horses! Its exciting for me because I will always love the animal... and one day have many in my back yard! When the passion is in you, it never goes away. A horse can really be a girls best friend! Jene is lucky to have so many family members that are able to make it a lot easier for her to be around them. She loves it, has no fear, and from the second she got on one, she wanted to go "faster" and asked "can you get off so I can do it by myself! She is so small, but yet so brave, fearless, and confident!
Its what she thinks about every single day. "When can I go to riding lessons?" "What day are we going", "When is my horse show"... "can we have one in our back yard?" "Cant a horse just live in our basement?" ... THe questions keep firing! She is so set.. My brother, her "Uncle Barry", has helped this little girls dream come true! I am always texting him and telling him things she says about him and the horses, and I think sometimes he thinks I am making it up... Jene thinks he is God. I think Uncle Barry gets mentioned in our house a minimum of 10 times per day. She has her ways and I think she is getting Uncle Barry wrapped around her finger just like everyone else.
Uncle Barry has been diligently giving her lessons since august or september of 2010. Once per week, and sometimes less often depending on my schedule, I drive her to Bountiful (a 45 minute drive) and she has her riding lessons. Its amazing how quick she has caught on and about how well she is doing and learning. Some may think that when you ride, you get on and ride for fun... when you have a love for the animal its all for fun, right? Jene is learning the proper ways to ride so she will have the ability to become a good rider and handle all situations that may come up. He is also teaching her good horsemanship/showmanship skills so she doesnt look like a rag doll when she rides. Nothing is scarier than to watch someone ride that looks like they are going to fall right out of the saddle as they are going around the arena.. Jene is a natural.. She is going to show with Uncle Barry and has been participating in his open horse shows at his indoor barn through the fall and winter. He is having her practice, practice, and practice to be his leadline student. She is so excited and that is all she talks about. "My big shows mom"..
Uncle Barry even surprised her with a pink cowgirl hat and matching pink boots, and she wants to wear the boots everywhere! For the first few days of having them, she wanted to wear the hat everywhere to.. i finally was able to make her understand that she couldnt wear the hat everywhere, but she could wear the boots. Looks like i am going to have to go invest in some more boots for her.
With all of her lessons, and some amazing horses my brother has, Jene is even able to ride on her own with no help on a few lessons! I love it and I dont even get the least bit nervous, because I have a sneaking feeling if she is anything like I was, if she ever falls off, or gets bucked off, She will get right back on. The newness hasnt wore off and I am not quite sure it ever will now.. but thats okay, because i believe a horse will keep a girl out of trouble. I want to keep her head in the game, because I know the confidence it can help a little girl to have, Not to mention, as Jene says..."Not everyone has an Uncle Barry".. my reply back, "Your right Jene, only our big family is lucky enough to have an Uncle Barry".. We are such an awesome brother/uncle in our lives. I think she is growing on him as much as he has grown on her.. Sorry Barry... your in it forever now.. last riding lesson you should have never told her she could come stay with you in the summer for a few days at a time, because she already wants to pack her bags and come over. I guess the memories come flooding back to you when I was a little girl and wouldnt leave your side! I love you!
We have taken quite a break from riding lessons for a couple months due to time and crazy schedules at home, and the passing of my dad, Jurnee being so sick, start of school..but boy does she ask about it everyday. I guess I know what we will be doing all winter and do a full blown show season next year... She truly wants to do it and she is so dang cute. Uncle Barry told her in the spring if she came to lessons and worked really hard, next year in 2012 she can go to "Texas" with him and that is all she seems to talk about still... I suppose its Jenes turn to focus and excel in an activity. So Uncle Barry! You are our savior! :)

0 comments: